HomeDepartmentFacultyAlumniResearchPhoto GalleryContact us  
   

HISTORY OF DEPARTMENT OF PLASTIC SURGERY, KGMU

Plastic Surgery was started in KGMC in the year 1953, by Late Prof. R N. Sharma, who is considered the "Founder" of this specialty in North India. In 1962, a unit of Plastic Surgery was created. Plastic Surgery course was initiated in 1966, and was accredited by the Medical Council of India in 1969.
Subsequently, a separate Department of Plastic Surgery was started in 1976. The extension block of the department was commissioned in 1979, which currently houses the operation theatre complex. The second floor was formally inaugurated and commissioned on 22nd December 2003 and currently faculty offices are located on this floor. Further extension of the department is under way.
The Department provides postgraduate teaching, training and research facilities to MBBS, BDS, MS and MCh students. It is the only department of its kind in the state of UP. There are four seats annually for the M.Ch. (Plastic Surgery) course and till date 85 postgraduates have completed plastic surgery training. Besides general plastic surgery facilities, the department is offering round the clock emergency services.

The department provides state of the art care in cranio-maxillofacial surgery and hand surgery. The department is a Smile Train (USA) partner since November 2004, which helps the department to offer free cleft lip and palate surgery to all patients. It is also a partner of The World Craniofacial Foundation, U.S.A., for the treatment of Craniofacial anomalies.